Saturday, August 8, 2009

Wrapping up the first chapter of Genesis

Once again:

Genesis 1:26 reads:26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness


My husband and I were discussing this last night at dinner. We both agree that we shouldn't need to think too hard, read between the lines or interpret every thing in the Bible. It's purpose is to be simple so that us peon's can understand it. So, when reading that verse we wondered, who is he speaking too? I think there must be three options...

1) Jesus and the Holy spirit:

I don't believe that he'd be speaking to them like that. First off, the Holy spirit is that, correct? A *spirit*. What I tend to think of as our conscious. It's what speaks to you when you've done wrong. Makes you regret, feel guilty......If the trinity is, in fact, one , like an egg with shell, yolk and white, then he wouldn't really even speak that way. He's announcing what he's going to do. Like one would say "I'm heading to the grocery store" Would you speak to yourself like that? No. Now, I *do* talk to myself on the occasion, don't tell anyone, but I never *announce* to myself that I'm going to go to the store.

2) The Angels:

I read several websites where the authors got downright pissed at the idea that he was speaking to the Angels. Mostly the logic was "There's NO mention ANYWHERE in the Bible that the angels had anything to do with creation!!! Eleventy!!!!" Odd, to be so angry that one might use all capitals and a million exclamation points. I don't consider the Bible to be a blue print. It doesn't have the details down the most minute thing. I tend to view it less like a blueprint and more like an outline. The Bible doesn't mention house cats either and I think I've spotted one of those before. I'm sorta going with the Angels theory, myself.

3) Other Gods:

Now this one is sure to stir up the same people who get pissed about angels V no angels. Maybe this is why a certain Christian sect believes they too will one day become a God of their own world? It does seem like the possibility exists that he's speaking to equals, does it not? I mean, while I lean towards angels, it would also make sense that he wouldn't announce his intentions to the subordinates, true?

If one was to think, hey, maybe he's speaking to other Gods, that would rock Christianity as we know it though, right? I, personally, have never heard the issue addressed in church or Sunday school. I wonder why that is? I think we tend to get the watered down , hitting the highlights, version of the Bible. I think that in general, the feeling that I got growing up in the church is that you don't question. You don't pause and wonder..What??? You keep your head down, listen to what the pastor says, take it at face value and that's what they call "Faith".

I'm not going to do that anymore. I want to know for myself. I want to wonder, question, struggle and come to my conclusion. The conclusion that God himself wants me to come to from personally reading his word. My husband I wondered if doing this might lead us to question what we've been told by our church and it's leaders. I think I'm already doing that which is why I'm on this journey. First chapter of Genesis and already feeling the journey has begun.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment