Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday's post...

One thing that I wanted to add here, real quick, is that part of my intention to read the Bible and post here about it is to read it as just me. I'm not a Bible Scholar. I'm not an expert in Hebrew. I won't be dissecting every word , I won't be trying to translate what this word or that means in Hebrew so that means this verse really is saying, whatever. One example of what I'm talking about is the Hebrew word for"day". It comes up when discussing whether the word is a literal 24 hour day or not. In this case the Hebrew word for Day means something like when we say "Back in the day" , so more of a general timeline, and not so much a 24 hour time period.



Now, I know that's what the Hebrew word means and I could use that in the argument about young earth V not so young earth..But my thinking is this: We shouldn't need to be a Bible scholar to understand the Bible. If we believe that God is as powerful and amazing as we do, then the argument some people have about the Bible being inaccurate because "Man" wrote it, is mute for me. I believe that the word we have, through his book, is the word we were intended to have. Fully. I believe that we should be able to get an idea of what a day means without analyzing every word...As an example, the fact that trees grew to be fruit bearing in one "day".

I do not believe that whether a day is "an era" of time or "24 hours" has any basis in salvation. I just don't. I think that when people concentrate so hard on things like that or if it was truly an apple that Adam and Eve ate or more likely a fruit that originates in that part of the world, and argue the point, it misses the larger picture, Salvation, and I really don't think that infighting about the small stuff, solves anything, nor will it matter when the time comes.

I'm addressing it here, not to decide what a day really means, but simply because it interests me.....and since this is about my journey through the Bible, we must suffer through what interests me ever once in awhile ! :-)


Now back to our regularly scheduled programming..


Genesis 1:14 through Genesis 1:23
14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.
17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.
19And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
20And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl [that] may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.
22And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
23And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
Ok, that's pretty straightforward right?
That's it for today
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment