Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Genesis Chapter 12, wrapping up..Abram.

Today's read is interesting to me. I'm going to put my comments after the verses. Please read:


9And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south.

10And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine [was] grievous in the land.

11And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou [art] a fair woman to look upon:

12Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This [is] his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.

13Say, I pray thee, thou [art] my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.

14And it came to pass, that, when Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians beheld the woman that she [was] very fair.

15The princes also of Pharaoh saw her, and commended her before Pharaoh: and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house.

16And he entreated Abram well for her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and he asses, and menservants, and maidservants, and she asses, and camels.

17And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.

18And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What [is] this [that] thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she [was] thy wife?

19Why saidst thou, She [is] my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take [her], and go thy way.

20And Pharaoh commanded [his] men concerning him: and they sent him away, and his wife, and all that he had.



Abram tells Sarai to pretend that she is his sister so that the Egyptians will not kill him. He tells her that this is for her sake as well as his. Of course, it was his life he was afraid for. Afraid enough that he'd let his WIFE become the Pharaoh's wife.

God must not have cared for the plan as he brought the plagues down unto the Pharaoh because of Sarai....The Pharaoh, up until that point, was being kind to both Abram and Sarai. When he found out that Abram had lied, he was angry! he sent Abram and Sarai away.

Interesting to me that we see here, Abram, God's servant, willing to have his wife bed down with another man, to save his own life and the Pharoah, is the one who then doesn't kill Abram, which I'm sure he could have done with no problem, but instead sends him away. We see the Pharoah being more moral, as a person, than Abram. The Pharoah even sent everything with them that he had given them.

Where in this story is the "sanctity" of marriage? Why are we getting the washed down, glorified versions of the people in the Bible and even what the Bible actually says?!

Something to think about today.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment